Mahadasha (Dasha/Antardasha) in Vedic Astrology by KT Astrologer
Importance Mahadasha in Vedic Astrology
Mahadasha is very important in predicting a natal chart in vedic astrology. Mahadasha is capable of creating yogas or doshas and can alter the effects of the transit planets. If a person want to attain wealth, success or popularity, mahadasha need to support them. Mahadasha is of 9 types - Rahu Mahadasha, Guru Mahadasha, Sani Mahadasha, Budha Mahadasha, Ketu Mahadasha, Sukra Mahadasha, Surya Mahadasha, Chandra Mahadasha and Magal or Kuja or Chevvai Mahadasha. The sum of all Mahadashas are totalling 120 years of timespan. How 120 years is divided into 9 dasha is explained under Vimsottari Maha Dasa page.
The longest mahadasha that is more than 15 years are Venus, Saturn, Rahu, Mercury and Jupiter. The shorter Mahadasha are that is <= 10 years are Ketu, Mars, Sun and Moon.
How we determine the efects of Mahadasha?
1. For each mahadasha, the dasha lord is taken into consideration. For example Venus Mahadasha, the placement of planet venus is important.
2. Note down the signs ruled by the planet. For example, Venus rules to Libra (Thua) and Taurus (Rishaba). For Mesha (Aries) lagna, it will be 2nd and 7th house.
3. If the dasha lord is placed in Trikona or Kendra, it is called benefic house.
4. The effects are mahadasha is determined with the placement of dasha lord in its own sign, friendly sign, exalted or debilitated.
5. The aspect the dasha lord with other planets. It can be conjunction, square, opposition, benefic and malefic aspect by other planet, or mutually aspecting with other planet like parivarthana.
Based on the above 5 planets, the effects of Mahadasha will vary for each horoscope.
Other Frequently Asked Questions About Mahadasha:
Click on the following link to read more about each Mahadasa.
- Ketu (South Node) Mahadasha
- Sukra (Venus) Mahadasha
- Surya (Sun) Mahadasha
- Chandra (Moon) Mahadasha
- Mangal (Mars) Mahadasha
- Rahu (North Node) Mahadasha
- Guru (Jupiter) Mahadasha
- Sani (Saturn) Mahadasha
- Budha (Mercury) Mahadasha