Food Recipe For Chettinad Special Dosa / Uthappam
The recipe for both dosa and idli would be almost same. You can use the same flour for making Idli and dosa. The main difference is if you add Fenugreek (Venthayam) while grinding dosa will come very nice, crispy and brown color.
- 6 cup Idli rice (or boiled rice)
- 1 cup whole urad dal
- 4 spoon salt
- 2 spoon fenugreek (venthayam) - This is important especially if you like nice and cripsy brown color dosa. If you add fenugreek, then the flour can be used only for dosa and not for Idli.
- Soak Idli rice for 6 hours and urad dal for 2 hours.
- First grind urad dal and fenugreek for 20 minutes in grinder, splash little water while grinding and take out and keep in a tall silver pan.
- Then grind soaked Idli rice for 30 minutes with little amount of water and must splash water every 10 minutes while grinding.
- Must grind like a smooth paste and take out and pour in the same pan where you have the grinded urad dal.
- Put 4 spoon salt and mix the grinded urad dal and Idli rice (batter) by hand for 5 minutes.
- Close the pan and leave it overnight or at least 12 hours.
- The flour (batter) should come up little higher.
- Now you can make your favorable dosa using dosa pan.
- If you spread the dosa batter entire pan straing from the middle, it is called dosa. You can flip it to cook on either side make it extra taste.
- Instead of spreading the entire pan, you can make it smaller but thicker, then it is called uthappam.
- Enjoy having Chettinadu Special Dosa or Uthappam with Sambar and/or Thovaiyal and/or Chutney.